Settling down. Again. Ish.
So my European travels are winding down. Other than a few day trips and a weekend to Bath (none of which are being organized by me) all I have left is to fly home. However I am sure there will be some adventures in the coming weeks.
Since my last post I've been in 2 German cities and have settled in (at least until Sunday) in Oxford.
I headed to Leipzig after leaving Prague (Dresden didn't have any hostel beds). If you pay attention to my facebook (which if you read this you are likely to do), you may remember that Leipzig was on the list of possible cities to visit with my extra day in Germany. Originally it was because of Denny. He's from Leipzig and he studied at the University of Leipzig. It probably doesn't have the same ring to it without the German accent. Plus Leipzig was home to the Monday demonstrations. And, as previously mentioned, the University of Leipzig. How baller is the University of Leipzig? Very. Goethe and Nietzsche studied there. Also in Leipzig is the worlds largest war memorial. Though wikipedia only calls it Europe's largest (in height). Either way, TripAdvisor lied. No way is that thing 1.8 miles from the city center. I walked for 1.5 hours through what appeared to be an abandoned industrial park and past all the car dealerships (you know you're in the boonies when you pass the car dealerships) before reaching this thing.
Following Leipzig I headed to Frankfurt. I didn't look up anything to do in Frankfurt before I got there and guess what there is to do in Frankfurt. That's right. You can look at banks. So I spent most of my day sitting along the Main. The woman's soccer world cup is being held right now in ?Frankfurt? so there was a lot of action and some good people watching. Plus it was warm so I got to work on my v-neck tan.
All in all those were my last adventures before catching a flight to Heathrow and a bus to Oxford. I stumbled into my house late Sunday night and have been laughed at all day for uttering the phrase "I just want to shower and go to bed." Oh well, there are worse things. Oxford is beautiful (as is to be expected). Tomorrow starts the World Forum on Enterprise and the Environment which some of us are volunteering at. Should be a great time to be surrounded (and intimidated) by great minds.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home