A Snapshot of Time

Written words, a photo, both capture a moment that could only happen once

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Sriracha Mac

So I made an amazing Mac and Cheese for our BBQ in Oxford. I've been asked multiple times for the recipe. Too bad I didn't use one. So for the BBQ this past Labor Day Weekend I attempted to recreate it.

-Boil water and cook pasta of choice.
-Melt 8 Tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan.
-Wisk in 6 Tbs. of flour. Let bubble for 1-2 min.
-Slowly add in 5 cups of warm milk wisking constantly to prevent clumping.
-Bring mixture to a simmer. It will thicken slightly.
-Turn off heat and add 6 cups of cheese.*
-Add in 1/4 cup of Sriracha.**
-Layer baking dish with half the past, 2 cups of cheese, and finish with the remaining pasta.
-Pour cheese mixture over pasta.
-Top with broken up Sweet Thai Chili potato chips (I used Kettle).

*Mac and Cheese is all about the cheese. What made this Mac so good in the UK was the use of red gloucester cheese. Just look at the name. It's very British and thus expensive in the US. I used 4 cups sharp cheddar (the most flavorful cheese available in the pre-shredded bags) and 2 cups monterey jack in this weekends version. They just didn't hold a candle to the cheeses used in the original version. The best macs mix about 4 cups of sharp cheddar with 2 cups of another strong cheese. Asiago and Fontina are my favorite to include.

**In the original version I just squirted in Sriracha until the color looked good. Scientific right? I used a 1/3 for Labor Day but it ended up with some actual heat instead of a slight addition of spicy goodness. Actual amount can be lessened or increased depending on personal preferences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home